A quick and easy recipe for savory, spicy cornbread muffins using the ol’ reliable of baking mixes – Jiffy corn muffin mix.
Jiffy Mix always wins
Here’s a confession: I impulse buy Jiffy mixes. At the often tantalizing price of $0.54 who can resist?
This is a quick, semi-homemade recipe for cornbread muffins using a big helper — Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. That familiar blue box that is found in pantries across America. Sometimes, you just need a shortcut. And you know what? That’s 100% okay.
Packed with whole corn kernels, cheese, and sliced jalapeños, these muffins do well at potlucks, and can be easily made in a double batch for larger parties. Or make a large batch and enjoy them all week.
Muffin substitutions and accoutrements
You can substitute fresh jalapeños for the pickled jalapeños called for in the recipe. We always have pickled jalapeños in the fridge, and I prefer the milder spice and more pungent flavor they lend in these muffins, but I encourage you to do what you like best!
Any firm shredded cheese would work in this recipe (I daresay a blue cheese + bacon + red chili muffin would be a worthy rival), but I used a Mexican shredded blend because it melts beautifully into the muffins.
Pro-tip from the Jiffy Box itself: Let the mixed batter stand for 3-4 minutes (in this recipe, while you prepare the rest of the ingredients), for a better rise on your muffins.
This recipe yields one dozen muffins. For a quick-guide to a double batch, see the recipe notes.
If you’re a savory breakfast person, these would be great for meal prep for the week. Wrap individually and heat in the microwave or toaster oven before enjoying with a cappuccino.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, or spray to grease. Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mix the corn muffin batter according to package directions. Let stand while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Drain one can of corn and measure ½ cup into a clean, small bowl. Add shredded cheese. Pat jalapeños dry with paper towel, then roughly chop and measure into the bowl with the corn and cheese.
- Add seasonings – pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and sugar – to the corn muffin batter. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the cheese, corn, and jalapeños to the batter. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the muffin liners until ¾ full. Bake at 400° F according to package directions, about 15-20 minutes, until muffins are golden brown on the top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Enjoy with salted butter and a light drizzle of honey.
- 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 cup drained canned corn.
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend).
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños, chopped and patted dry.
- 1/2 tsp each black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar.