A quick and easy recipe for hearty, delicious chickpea salad. Think of it like chicken salad, but with chickpeas and bell peppers instead of chicken and celery! Enjoy on toasted bread, over leafy greens, or on your favorite crackers.Jump to Recipe
Chickpeas are a great source of protein with a whopping 14 grams in 1 cup. They’re also a substantial source of fiber, with 12 grams per cup. For more on chickpea nutrition, click here.
In addition to their enviable nutritional value, chickpeas are simply delicious! They are (in my humble opinion) the legume of all legumes. Their creamy texture lends itself well to dips like hummus. Alternatively, they make a delicious addition to any dish pan fried with some olive oil and spices, my favorite way to eat them.
Canned chickpeas are affordable and accessible, making them a must have pantry item.
Ways to Eat
Enjoy this chickpea salad on some toasted bread with spinach as a sandwich, or spooned over leafy greens for a hearty salad. Or spread over crackers for a quick snack!
This chickpea salad can be made in a large batch ahead of time and enjoyed throughout the week. It’s a great meal prep item because it lasts well in the fridge and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
Easy Chickpea Salad (Garbanzo Bean)
- 2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed if using canned
- 3 tablespoons mayo use vegan mayo if preferred
- 1 tablespoon mustard dijon, spicy brown and whole grain all work well
- ¼ cup chopped green onions can substitute celery if preferred
- ¼ cup chopped bell peppers any color you'd like
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon each of spices – paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder substitute your preferred spices as desired
- 1 tablespoon horseradish optional
- Drizzle of olive oil optional
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Chop onions, and bell peppers. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the chickpeas. Use a pastry cutter or potato masher to mash the chickpeas in a bowl. Consistency should be a bit chunky, but mashed enough to add easily to a sandwich.
- Add mayo, mustard, horseradish (optional), salt, pepper, spices, onions, bell peppers and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix well to combine.
- Taste chickpea salad and adjust seasonings if desired.