Homemade Chocolate Syrup
This homemade chocolate syrup is free of artificial sweetners. To make it refined sugar free, substitute with monkfruit sugar.
- 1 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 cups water
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Combine water and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to dissolve cocoa powder.
Add sugar and salt to saucepan. Cover with lid and bring to a boil, watching closely. Whisk for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Stir in vanilla extract.
Once cool, put in desired container and refrigerate.
Recipe adapted from Zero Waste Chef.
- For sweeter syrup, use 3 cups granulated sugar.
- Keep an eye on the saucepan when bringing the mixture to a boil to avoid boil over!
- Substitute sugar with monkfruit sugar to savor the rich chocolatey goodness without the sugar rush.
- Use a combination of brown and granulated sugar for a richer molasses flavor.