Easy Chickpea Salad (Garbanzo Bean)
A quick and easy recipe for hearty, delicious chickpea salad. Think of it like chicken salad, but with chickpeas and bell peppers instead of chicken and celery! Enjoy on toasted bread, over leafy greens, or on your favorite crackers.
- 2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed if using canned
- 3 tablespoons mayo use vegan mayo if preferred
- 1 tablespoon mustard dijon, spicy brown and whole grain all work well
- ¼ cup chopped green onions can substitute celery if preferred
- ¼ cup chopped bell peppers any color you'd like
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon each of spices - paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder substitute your preferred spices as desired
- 1 tablespoon horseradish optional
- Drizzle of olive oil optional
Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Chop onions, and bell peppers. Set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, add the chickpeas. Use a pastry cutter or potato masher to mash the chickpeas in a bowl. Consistency should be a bit chunky, but mashed enough to add easily to a sandwich.
Add mayo, mustard, horseradish (optional), salt, pepper, spices, onions, bell peppers and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix well to combine.
Taste chickpea salad and adjust seasonings if desired.