This mushroom coconut rice is deliciously creamy, floral, and umami central. It makes for the perfect side to any main, but we like it even on its own. The mushrooms add heartiness, giving this enough flavor to be a perfect vegetarian side or main (put an egg on it!).
Types Of Mushrooms To Use
There are so many different and incredible kinds of mushrooms! The amazing thing about this recipe, is that you can really use whatever mushroom you have on hand, or choose to seek out the perfect one for you. Mushroom adds umami and depth to the overall flavor profile of this recipe.
Here is a well compiled list of the most common mushrooms you can usually find at your local grocery store or farmers market. For this recipe, really any of these options would be delicious. Have fun, and try a few different ones out!
The Perfect Side Dish
As mentioned above, this mushroom coconut rice makes for the perfect side dish to plenty of mains. This recipe is vegetarian and would pair beautifully with our Grilled Cabbage with Tahini Dressing, or our Mushroom Marinated Tofu, the most delicious make ahead dish and a personal favorite!
alright, Let’s get cooking!
- 1 Medium Pot OR Rice Cooker
- 2 Cups Jasmine Rice
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 4 Nubs Ginger Sliced
- 4 Springs Green Onion Sliced 4 times length wise
- 4 TBSP Soy Sauce OR Tamari (GF)
- 1 Cup Mushrooms Mushroom of choice up to you! I used Sliced Crimini because it was what I had on hand.
- Wash rice until water runs clear.
- Combine all ingredients into your medium sized pot or your rice cooker.
- If using medium pot, cook on medium high for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- If using rice cooker, cook according to your appliances instruction.