About Half-Mashed Baby Potatoes I must tell you three things.
This recipe is:
What more could you want from life?!
This is a great healthier alternative to butter and cream-laden mashed potatoes and still simple enough to make in a big batch as part of a balanced meal prep lunch or dinner.
I served these potatoes with roasted broccoli and cauliflower and tri-tip for five days of meal prepped dinners!
- 3 pounds baby potatoes, whole.
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine.*
- 3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- salt and pepper to taste, start with 1 tsp each.
1. Rinse potatoes under running water. Give a light scrub to knock off excess dirt/debris.
2. Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Add a sprinkling of salt (about 1 tablespoon).
3. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork.
4. Drain potatoes in colander (strainer) in sink. Wipe out the pot (careful it will be hot) to get rid of any excess debris that may have boiled off the potatoes.
5. Place clean pot back on stove over medium heat. Add butter and olive oil. Add potatoes to pot and toss well to coat.
6. Add seasonings and gently mash potatoes with wooden spoon, or give a light mash with potato masher. You want to break up some potatoes to get a creamy consistency, but leave others whole for optimum texture.
7. Taste! Add salt and pepper as needed.
*This recipe is extremely adaptable. Add in your favorite mix of seasonings or try: oregano, onion powder, parsley or fresh crushed garlic.
*As always, add cheese if desired!
*To keep this recipe vegan, use vegan butter.